As 2014 has just begun, I thought I would dedicate a post to my goals for the New Year. I know it is a notorious time of year for those “New Years Resolutions”, which is why I want to think of these as Non-New Years Resolutions. I had set some goals for myself when I went back to school in the fall, and with the start of the spring semester rapidly approaching, I figured now would be a good time to look back at what I did well, what I can improve on, and the new goals I hope to achieve in 2014. So these aren’t necessarily NEW YEARS resolutions, they’re kind of just resolutions in general.
- Stick to my running plan to get in shape for my half marathon in March. During the fall, I did pretty good maintaining my running. In early September, I ran a PR in the Big Tree Half Marathon, which was incredibly gratifying and exciting (check out my recap for that race here). After that, I had a little bit of post-race blues, but I ran a couple of 5K’s, and I did pretty well waking up early twice a week to get in 5-mile runs in the mornings before class. When I got sick and went into finals, I kind of fell off the bandwagon, and didn’t really get back into the swing of running until coming home for winter break. So, some changes I’d like to make going into the spring:
- Follow my half-marathon training plan from Runners’ World
- Incorporate more hills into my running (even though I hate hills with a passion)
- Mix up my workouts to keep them from getting boring or too easy
- Expect some obstacles, but be prepared to work through them!
2.Do more cross-training. I have read so many articles extolling the virtues of cross-training for runners, and while I’ve done some cross-training in the past, I’m not good about sticking with it. I have some pilates tapes, and this semester, I’m going to aim to do those workouts three times a week, on the days when I’m not running. Pilates is all about working your core, and the videos are pretty intense! I’m always sweating when I finish the workouts.
3. This is more of a long-term goal, but here it is – I want to run a FULL MARATHON in 2014. I’m thinking of registering for the Rochester Marathon, which is in September.This would give me the full summer to train, which wouldn’t be easy in the hot temps, but it would be doable I think. We’ll just have to wait and see!
4. And finally, I’m going to try to update this blog on a more regular basis! There’s going to be more guest posts from the other half of this running duo (AKA my mom), since we’re going to be doing the bulk of our training for this half independently, so we will use the blog to check in and see how we’re each doing.
So those are the goals for 2014! Some are a little loftier than others, but hey, (pardon the cliché), you have to shoot for the moon to land among the stars! My mom and I went for our first “official” training run yesterday of 6 miles. We are committed and excited, and so ready to cross another state off the list!
2014, here we come! What goals do you have for the new year?