Happy Friday, we made it through this snowy week!
So earlier this week, I asked my mom to tackle a Four Things Friday post for today! After much thought, here is what she came up with 🙂
Four of my favorite BOOKS:
1. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy: You might remember my mentioning this novel in a previous blog post and remarking that I’d wished it had a sequel.
2. Born to Run by Christopher McDougall : This one’s non- fiction but the author writes with such humor about his adventures and the runners he meets that I think it would make a great movie! In addition to being thoroughly entertained, I’m learning tons of things about running and what it means to different people. (I’m working on doing a review of it in more detail for later!)
3. Running with the Mind of Meditation by Sakyong Mipham: This is another running book that has taught me a lot and connects the interest/skills I’ve learned in my meditation practice with my desire to run well – or at least to enjoy it! (This is another book I’d like to review for you all at some point!)
4. Anything by the historical fiction writer Mary Renault! (Sorry, it’s not possible to choose between them! That’s how good she is.)
Four of my favorite TV Shows:
1. Downton Abbey: Ok, is there anyone who can resist this classy British soap opera? The costumes and décor alone make it worth watching – and I have a soft spot for the cute Irish chauffeur – now son-in-law of the Crawleys. 🙂
2. Dancing with the Stars: Go ahead and laugh… In truth, at the beginning of each new season, I tell myself that I’m not going to watch this time around, and then I get sucked in after the first night! Even though the concept is the same, the producers come up with enough variation to keep it interesting. As for the dancers, they keep coming up with bigger and more amazing routines – so I have to keep watching!
3. How to Get Away with Murder: Though I found the first episode confusing, I now love this show! I think Viola Davis is amazing and though I am not sure how the writers are going to get more than one season out of this story-line /format, I love the twists and turns and hope the series can continue even after we know who killed Sam.
4.Parks and Recreation: Always funny!! And it’s impossible not to love Amy Poehler.
Four of my Favorite Races:
1. Amica Iron Horse Half, CN: This race had the best course, (beautiful fields and a pasture with horses and the cutest donkey), best shirt, and best grilled cheese. Also got my PR or 2h 1m here!
2. Support the Troops 5k, Andover MA: This race is, hands down, my favorite charity, and they had the cutest German shepherd puppy, and the best bagpipe players.
Who doesn’t love playing with puppies at races?
3. Mad Marathon, Waitsfield VT: While it presented a challenge, this race had the most impressive hills, and we enjoyed the most memorable accommodations (The White Horse Inn). But if someday you read that Nora and I plan to run the marathon at this race, you will know we have really and truly lost our minds.
You don’t run the World’s Most Beautiful Marathon without stopping to take a few pictures!
4. And last but not least, it has to be the Rochester Marathon: After months of preparation, it was epic and I still smile and shake my head when I remember running all those miles – and the great celebration we had afterwards with our family!
Four of my Favorite Things about Winter: (This one is a stretch but I am trying to psych myself up for what I am afraid is going to be a long, cold one! )
1. Without the yard work to do, there’s more time to look at recipes and make hearty soups and delicious desserts, like this chocolate cake from my goat cheese cookbook.
Winter means more time for chocolate cake.
2. When it’s too icy to run, I don’t feel guilty about just going for a long walk with Brady, my new running partner. (In Nora’s absence, of course.)
Nora’s dad joins us too sometimes!
3. In the winter, no one will know if I’ve gained a few pounds, not applied self-tanner for weeks, and skipped shaving my legs. And that, is pretty darn awesome I think.
4. And finally those long winter days afford me more time to sit in a cozy chair and read books about running, or to plan our next racing destination! 🙂
Stay warm and have a great weekend!